Shanna Swendson’s first job out of college was in the public information office at a medical school, and while she didn’t know a real Dr. House, she did have to work with the personifications of a few of his more interesting traits (to put it nicely). Now she’s primarily a novelist, the author of Enchanted, Inc., Once Upon Stilettos and Damsel Under Stress. She’s also contributed to Flirting with Pride and Prejudice, Welcome to Wisteria Lane, So Say We All and Perfectly Plum, and she still does the occasional bit of medical writing. Visit her Web site at www.shannaswendson.com.
Keepers of the Lore
from In the Hunt
This is one essay from the anthology In the Hunt
“Supernatural” is more than a show about fighting demons. It’s about more than a cool car, a kick-ass soundtrack and hot guys with guns. “Supernatural” is about family and sacrifice and heroism—about good and evil and the choices you make to stay in the hunt.
You know there’s more to this show than meets the eye.
So do we.
- Professor Gregory Stevenson considers the true meaning of horror and what “Supernatural’s” characters have to say about the human (and demonic) potential in all of us Super-Wiki team member
- Jules Wilkinson gives Dean’s ’67 Chevy Impala her due
- Television Without Pity’s Jacob Clifton looks at the feminine in “Supernatural’s” world of shotguns, muscle cars and masculine bravado (it’s more influential, and more pervasive, than you think)
- “Supernatural” RPG writer Jamie Chambers outlines demon-hunting on the cheap—and what it has to do with “Supernatural’s” appeal
- Contemporary fantasy author Tanya Huff delves into the psychology of John Winchester
- Fan Sheryl A. Rakowski (one of the three winners of the Supernatural.tv/Smart Pop “Supernatural” Essay Contest) shows how the boys’ biggest weakness—their need for each other—is also the biggest strength they possess, no matter what the Trickster says
- Writer Shanna Swendson mines the sources of “Supernatural’s” monsters, from folktales to urban legends, and deems Dean and Sam our modern-day keepers of the lore
And much more!
About the Author
Supernatural.tv is one of the biggest “Supernatural” sites on the Web, offering news updates, episode guides, multimedia and a forum of over 25,000 committed posters.